What people are saying
For the latest and greatest, head to our likes on Twitter.
Here are some older quotations we've collated:
- Eats Everything on Twitter after his set for Simple's 13th birthday, November 2012
- Copy Paste Soul on Twitter after his set for Simple, November 2012
- Waifs & Strays on Twitter after their set for Simple, March 2012
The opportunity to see an artist like T.E.E.D. at a venue as small as the Bullingdon is a rare one ... the crowd is made up of young, excitable dance music fans ready to genuinely dance ...
- Dexter Bush writing in Oxford Music Blog about Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs and his show for Simple, February 2012
- Roska on Twitter talking about Em Williams after his set for Simple, April 2011
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs on Twitter after his live set for Simple, February 2011
Thank you Oxford! Wangers everywhere! I think my co-pilot could have ruptured a ballbag just looking at dem.
- Tomb Crew on Twitter surrounding their set for Simple, October 2010
- Rosie Gogan-Keogh writing in Mixmag's "Big 3" about Feb's Fuse with Stanton Warriors et al in April 2009
- Annie Mac on Twitter surrounding her set with Hervé for Fuse, March 2009
Simple by name and – hey, whaddya know? – simple by nature, Wahalla's sessions in the backroom of the muchloved Oxford institution The Bully are the stuff of clubland legend ... residents Em Williams and James Weston – both highly regarded purveyors of dirty, bass-laden house music to this most noble of parishes.
- John Mitchell writing in The Guardian about Inland Knights and their set at Simple v. Wahalla, February 2009
when you think of Oxford you think of bicycles, not mini-raves! Simple has to be one of the best kept secrets in the country, a dark 'n' dingy club, with a riotous atmosphere to suit. Hopefully I'll be back for some Simple action next year. Although next time I'll be sure to bring my glowsticks!
- Mark of the Trophy Twins after his set at Simple, November 2007
Thanks a lot for having us down, we had a good night. We were really well looked after by Nick and everyone. It's always great to play to different types of crowds and Simple seem to get a really up-for-it mixed bag. We look forward to coming back soon!
- Audiojack after their set at Simple, October 2007
I love Simple! That’s one of my favourite gigs ever ... see you next time...
- Annie Mac chatting with Simple ressie, James Weston, on her BBC Radio 1 show, 3rd August 2006, before he won Twelve Inches of 12s!
We’ve been to quite a few nights over the last month in Brighton, Plymouth, Manchester and Oxford.... your night was the best. And I ain’t just saying that, it was (as your name suggests) Simple - but highly effective. Quality venue, quality sound system, quality beats and quality people. We’ll definitely be down again soon as it’s easy to drive back home on the night... I’ll bring a load of mates down too.
- IDJ Reviewer and Photographer at Annie Mac’s gig for Simple, December 2005.
Top 5 clubs in the South:‘Funk fuelled sexy sick house music for the generation with twisted melons!’ If they can knock out music policy statements like that imagine how good the actual night is. They shouldn’t disappoint this month as DJ Touché touches down at The Bully.
DJ Mag No.00/Vol.04
...top top House nights in Oxford.
- Marcus on Mac Chat, BBC Radio 1 website
Top 5 clubs in the South:[Simple.] As the name suggests this really is going down in the backroom of a pub but with Mutiny on the decks who gives a fuck. Terms including roadblock, hands in the air and frenzy don’t come close. You’d best just visit!
DJ Mag issue 387